Friday 12 August 2011

Mexican Accompaniments: Served with White Chili


These are the accompaniments I used with my White Chilli dinner. Unfortunately, I’m very low on photos for this post. (Blaming it on AK’s sprained ankle again)!

Mexican Rice 


For 8 people, I used:
3 cups long grained white rice
2 cups chicken stock
4 cups water
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp salt
½ tsp turmeric
1 tsp roasted cumin powder
1 tbsp rice
1 onion, chopped
3 green chillies, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
4 tomatoes

I dunked the tomatoes in boiling hot water for 10 mins so that the skin loosened and I could remove it. Then I chopped them up roughly (slightly chunky-ly).

I washed the rice well, i.e. until the water in which I immersed the rice was clear, and not cloudy.

In a pan (with a lid) I heated the oil. I added the onions and fried till translucent. Then I added the chillies and garlic and fried for another minute.

I added the tomatoes and cooked them on medium heat for about 10 mins. Then I added the salt and spices and roasted till the air was fragrant with the aroma!! (About another 5 mins).

I then added the washed and drained rice. I cooked it, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes on medium heat. The rice took on a lovely golden colour.

I then added the stock & water, stirred and brought it to a boil. At this point, I put on the lid and lowered the heat to minimum. I cooked it for about 6-7 mins, until the rice had absorbed all the liquid. Depending on your stove, the time could vary so keep a close eye on it.

When I saw gaps appearing in the rice and the liquid absorbed, I turned off the stove and allowed it to sit in the steam (without lifting the lid) for another 10 mins. Then I lifted the lid and stirred the rice gently with a fork to separate out the grains.

Then I placed it in a dish, ready to serve!


Corn Salad


I used:
1 cup Frozen Corn
1 Red Pepper
1 Yellow Pepper
Salt, Pepper, Red Chilli Powder
Juice of 1 lemon

I microwaved the corn for about 1 mins and allowed it to cool.

I chopped up the peppers to match the size of the corn kernels...


Mixed them up and added the seasoning. I had a 5 minute salad ready...!!

 Roasted Crispy Potatoes



I used:
6 potatoes
2 tbsp melted butter
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
¼ cup flour
1 tsp salt
Fresh ground pepper

I scrubbed and washed the potatoes (very well, because they were to be consumed with the peel). Yes I know there are 8 in the pic. While I was chopping them, I decided there were too many and cut out two of them!


I placed the butter and garlic in a microwave safe dish (with a lid). I then cut up the potatoes into wedges (sort of) – each potato into 8 pieces. I added these to the dish and tossed them well to coat with the butter garlic mixture.


I placed the lid on and microwaved the potatoes on high for 5 mins. When done, I lifted the lid and allowed the steam to escape (else the potatoes will become too watery and the dry ingredients will fall short.)

When the potatoes had cooled down considerably, I pre-heated the oven to 200 C. (Top and bottom coils).

I mixed the breadcrumbs, flour and salt in a bowl. I added this mix to the potatoes in parts and tossed to coat.

Then I placed them on a foil lined cookie tray in an even (sort of) layer! I baked these for about 30 mins, or until nice and golden!



Pico De Gallo



This is the simplest of ALL!!

I used:
3 large tomatoes
2 onions
3 green chillies
A WHOLE lot of cilantro/ coriander leaves
Salt & Pepper
Juice of 1 lemon

I chopped up the tomatoes, onions, chillies and coriander finely and placed them in a bowl. I added the salt, pepper and lemon juice. Tossed it, refrigerated for an hour and it was ready to serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment