Sunday 17 July 2011

Chips & Dip


My favourite dip is one that I find extremely refreshing. It is extremely easy to make and is usually polished up very quickly (often causing my guests to lose their “healthy” dinner appetite!)


In case there’s any left over, it works out beautifully for a sandwich spread the next morning. Here’s what I used (for 2 soup bowls full of dip):

2 packets (400 ml each) of Nestle Dahi/Yoghurt
1 tbsp olive oil (you can use regular vegetable oil too)
2 medium sized cucumbers (peeled & grated)
2 cloves garlic (minced)
1 tsp dry mustard powder
½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
½ tsp salt (you can add more but the chips are usually salty enough)
A dash of Tabasco  sauce
2 tbsp finely chopped dill (I use whatever fresh herb is available at that point – parsley, mint, coriander, dill, sometimes even the green part of spring onions!)

I emptied out the dahi into a clean kitchen cloth (cotton) and tied it up like a potli. I hung it from my dish drying rack for 2 hours.

By the time I opened it up again, it was thick and creamy - almost the consistency of cream cheese. I placed it in a bowl and whisked it well using a fork. Once it was nice and smooth, I added the olive oil and mixed it up.

Next, I added the garlic and all the other seasoning.

The cucumber usually has a lot of water and, if added as is, would dilute the effort I made to thicken the dahi. So I squeezed all the water out of the cucumber and added it to the mix.

I finished it off with the finely chopped dill and chilled it for an hour. I served it with Uncle Chipps, my favourite chips ever. In my book, they beat Pringles hands-down! Only fresh nachos/ tortilla chips could beat “Bole mere lips, I love Uncle Chipps”!!

2 comments:

  1. You missed one key ingredient in this: Amul pepper cheese spread.
    That just makes it ultimate.

    Krishnan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you!

    I do use it on occasion - read: when it's available in my fridge - at other times, I rationalize it like this:
    1. My dip is light & "healthy"
    2. The hung curd is as creamy as cream cheese and doesn't need anything else!

    Of course I constantly contradict myself!!!

    ReplyDelete