Saturday 30 July 2011

Crispy Crumb Fried Chicken with Smashed Herby Potatoes


There are times when I’m super late from work. Times when a long, drawn out, complicated recipe does not work for me. And other times when I want (non-junky) Junk Food! Read: Junk Food made at home!!

At any of the above times this chicken is the most awesome thing to make. Or at any other time when AK has a KFC (but better) type craving and MUST have fried chicken.

This is what he craves...


Anyhow, here’s what I used (for 1 person, AK. Although I love this chicken, I had a terrible cold and needed a big glass of spicy Rasam to make me feel better!)

2 boneless chicken breasts
2 tbsp cream/ top-of-the-milk/ malai
2-3 cloves garlic, crushed/ minced
1 tsp chilli flakes/ powder
1 tsp dried parsley
Salt & fresh ground pepper to taste
1 egg
1/2 cup breadcrumbs

2 medium sized potatoes
Olive oil
Salt & freshly ground pepper
1 tsp dried oregano

I placed the chicken breasts on my chakla (roti rolling stone) and hammered them with a meat tenderiser. The flatter and thinner it becomes, the faster and better it cooks. Oh and before I bought this tenderiser, I used to use my belan (Indian rolling pin). It works just as well!


Then I mixed up the top-of-the-milk with the garlic, salt, pepper, chilli flakes & parsley.


I spread this on the chicken evenly and then placed it in the fridge to marinate for a while. I had errands to run so it sat in the fridge for almost 2 hours. You must marinate for at least ½ hour if not longer.


Before I began on the chicken again, I half cooked (almost boiled) the potatoes in the microwave – scrubbed them clean and placed them in the micro for about 6 mins on high in a dish with a lid.

I then put a piece of foil on my cookie tray and placed the potatoes on it.


Using my potato masher, I gave them one good press each to flatten them out.


I gave them a generous drizzle of olive oil and sprinkled the salt, pepper, oregano & chilli flakes on them. You can even add some crushed garlic if you like, but I ran out...


Then I popped them in the oven (pre-heated at 150 C/ 350 F) for 15 mins while I made the chicken.

I placed a non-stick pan on the stove. I added enough oil to shallow fry the chicken and heated it on high flame.

I lightly beat one egg and poured it onto a plate. I also placed the breadcrumbs on a plate.


Then I dipped the chicken breasts, one at a time, in the egg to coat well on both sides.


I then placed it in the bread crumb plate...


Carefully flipped it a few times to coat really well...


Then I put them in the hot oil and lowered the heat to medium so as to give them time to cook evenly, through and through.


After about 3-4 mins, I lifted the one of them slightly to check. It was golden brown. So I flipped them both on to the other side...


Another 3-4 mins on this side and we were home free!!! 


I lifted them carefully out of the pan and placed them on a paper towel to drain off the excess oil. Then I placed them on a plate with the smashed potatoes and toast! 
 
Bon Apetit!!

4 comments:

  1. If this you can make when you are super late from work,then it must be multi-course meals on week ends!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good observation!!

    But this is definitely easier and quicker than 1 chicken + 1 dal + 1 sabzi + salad + roti!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. u shud open a placed mrs kartha,
    but sorry i have to say u guys have it
    so easy with the maid that comes and cleans
    up your kitchen!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I should. But that will have to wait for a time that I don't have a full time job! And also, the help at home is definitely a blessing! Can't argue with the fact that I'm spoiled!

    ReplyDelete