Monday 18 July 2011

Hummus


I always thought that Hummus was an extremely difficult thing to make. But a simple chat with my Bua (aunt) changed my mind, and in a way, my life! It’s one of my favourite dips – I can have it on crackers, on toast, in chicken wraps and obviously with pita bread!


Here’s what I used:
½ cup chickpeas/ white (safed) chanas
3 cloves garlic
1 tsp salt
½ tsp red chilli powder
1 tsp roasted cumin (jeera) powder
Juice of 1 lemon
2-3 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp Tahini (sesame paste used for Middle Eastern cooking – I don’t always have it at home so I don’t always use it in the hummus. But it does add a wonderful smoky flavour. It’s almost “to-die-for”)
Fresh chopped dill, to garnish

I rinsed the chickpeas & placed them in a bowl. Covered them with water, put a lid over the bowl and let them soak overnight.

By morning, they were doubled in size. I then placed them in a pressure cooker (with the same water) and ½ tsp salt. I cooked them for 4 whistles. Allowed the cooker to cool before opening the lid.

Once the chickpeas were cool, I drained the water out (reserving a little) and placed them in the mixie/ food processor along with the garlic and the remaining salt, red chilli and cumin. Pulsed till ground and mixed coarsely. (Reserve some of the boiling liquid).



I then added the olive oil, lemon juice and ¼ cup of reserved water. (This is where one must add the tahini if using).

I pulsed some more until well mixed and ALMOST smooth. I like hummus with a little texture, so I usually stop processing JUST before it becomes a smooth paste!

To serve, I placed it in a dish, drizzled on some olive oil, sprinkled a little red chilli powder and cumin powder. I also sprinkled on some chopped fresh dill. Ideally, it should be parsley. But you can also use coriander/ spring onion greens.

I served it with pita bread wedges and savoury (salted) crackers...

No comments:

Post a Comment